Site Reliability Engineer at VMware Inc (OneCloud), Hired back after a two year hiatus, my new SRE position in the VSE group, focuses on day to day tasks in our internal Cloud environments. Automate the building and maintenance of our current and new Infrastructure utilizing PowerShell, Python, Ansible, and StackStorm.
Sr Site Reliability Engineer at VMware Inc (OneCloud), I moved into an SRE position in the OneCloud group, focusing on Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). We worked in scrum teams to automate the building and maintenance of our current and new Infrastructure utilizing Python, Ansible, and Puppet. Main focus was on Hyper Converged Infrastructure (HCI), stand-alone Virtualized environments for R&D, and Hands On Labs training stack. My main job functions remained the same as my previous role, but with focus on automation.
Sr Cloud QA Engineer at VMware Inc (OneCloud), I moved into the OneCloud group, VMware’s private cloud, which provided an opportunity to utilize my experience in the IT field, leveraging my vast knowledge of VMware products and QA methodologies. I handled pre-production software testing (pre-RTM) including test plan design and creation of functional, load, stress and performance test automation. I was the SME of our BAT system which utilized a custom Java Testing Framework. Some duties included troubleshooting existing tests, creating new test cases and making existing tests more user friendly for the support staff that triage the results. One of my main accomplishments in OneCloud was implementation of Jenkins CI to automate pre-RTM build checks, and production system integrity validation.
MTS Engineer at VMware Inc (VIEW System Test), I was brought into the View System Test (VST) team so they could leverage my many years of Datacenter and Lab management experience. I work in VST QE automating current AppBlast testing utilizing Ruby scripting. My primary purpose is to manage and restructure our 298 servers and over 11 arrays that are located in our Washington Datacenter. A few of my recent accomplishments include the redesign of our Testbed infrastructure, planning an migration of existing testbeds from one POD to another to increase reliability and performance, and the last was to restructure our policies and documentation to provide up to date and organized (at-a-glance) wiki documentation.
MTS Engineer at VMware Inc (vCloud Director), the world leader in virtualization technology. I was initially hired on as a Quality Assurance engineer for the Lab Manager team. I was Team Lead of 5 System Engineers that managed the infrastructure of over 200 servers and 10 EMC SANs across our Palo Alto and remote data center locations. I was instrumental in re-architecting our network and designing policies for our development group which increased uptime from 70% to over 99%. I turned over the Infrastructure role and focused on increasing my knowledge of VMware technologies and automation engineering. My specialties included setup of all Windows Server environments, single and hierarchal domain structures, LDAP, OpenLDAP, Kerberos and SSO for testing with LabManager, vCenter, vSphere and vCloud Director. This included programming Java-based automation tests using Eclipse, TestNG and Selenium. I was an instrumental part of 6 major releases at VMware.
Senior IT Manager of Project InVision Intl’, one of the market leaders in web based process portfolio management software, I managed all IT operations of our wide area network at 5 locations across the US, including the Data Center which housed our mission critical SaaS environment for Fortune 500 companies to access Sarbanes-Oxley compliancy software. Accomplishments include design and implementation of a high availability web cluster utilizing Windows 2003 Servers and SQL 2005; the implementation of branch to branch office VPN utilizing Nortel technology; and an international VOIP system to connect ourUSoffices to ourIndiaoffice. I was responsible for managing the yearly budget and preparing and presenting IT projects to the executive board.
Corporate IT Manager of RWS Group, LLC, one of the top five localization companies in theUS. I was top level management for all IT operations in theUSA, three locations located on the East, Central and West coast. My main duties included server maintenance, backup procedures, disaster recovery plans, and teir-1 security audits. I managed multi-platform network consisting of Windows 2000, Novell, and Linux. I managed a team of IT staff at all locations and was responsible for the planning and deployment of all technology solutions. Accomplishments include deployment and migration of Platinum accounting software from Novell 3.12 platform to Windows 2000 platform utilizing SQL server.
Founder and Senior Network Administrator of Internet Services Inc, a west coast leader in Internet based hosting services. My main focus when I started the position was to architect the infrastructure for an up and coming Web Host and ISP. I was team lead of 7 engineers to implement the entire Cisco switching framework, more than a dozen EMC arrays, and over 150 server blade systems. Once the main plan was put into live production, I continued to lead the team in setting up a proactive monitoring system to ensure that all issues would be detected before becoming critical. I left this company so that I could gain more experience in Corporate IT environments to further my skills in Technical Operations and Management practices.
CEO and Senior Technical Adviser of Delta PC, Inc., I supervised and lead a team of six to eight network engineers/consultants, supporting approximately 600 clients in the Marin/Sonoma area. The company provided day-to-day business network management, desktop support, and hardware sales and service for small to mid-sized business. I was responsible for executive guidance, business practices, human resources, and senior technical advising. The company reached gross revenues of one million within the first 3 years of business and continued to prosper until it was sold to a competitor in the year 2000.
- Managed and supervised up to 35 technicians including hiring, termination and regular performance evaluations.
- Skilled at administering annual budgets of up to 2.5 million dollars including reporting and auditing.
- Effective writing of department policies, procedures and inter-office communications.
- Experienced with developing and maintaining lines of communication and successful relationships with team members and clients to assure quality customer service.
- Highly proficient at performing tasks including management meetings; critical problem resolution; and assure attention to immediate staff, project and/or reporting needs.
Software Applications and Troubleshooting
- Exceptional knowledge of all Windows Server environments, DNS Server, Internet Information Server, all Exchange Server versions, and Blackberry Enterprise server. Experienced in VPN and RSA Security implementation and AD schema design and implementation.
- Expert knowledge of all VMware technologies including vSphere, vCenter, LabManager, vCloud Director, Workstation and vShield Firewall appliance.
- Highly proficient in the configuration and implementation of Web servers and Web-based applications including MSSQL/MySQL, Cold Fusion, PHP and ASP.NET modules.
- Ability to quickly comprehend, apply and implement proprietary software applications.
- Extensive experience troubleshooting software applications and server operating systems.
- Expert knowledge of the development, installation and maintenance of large scale network environments including advanced knowledge of Active Directory (Group Policy and Multi-Domain configurations), VPN, High Availability Clustering, TCP/IP, LAN/WAN, SAN/NAS, DHCP, SNMP, automated backup technology (including Veeam), and VLAN configurations.
- Ability to isolate network problems and engineer systems to operate efficiently.
Hardware Configuration and Installation
- Exceptional knowledge of server hardware, including RAID arrays, NAS, SAN and load balanced clusters (F5 Load Balancers).
- Experienced with installation, management and maintenance of Cisco, 3Com, Dell and HP family of routers, firewalls and switches. Utilize LAN, WAN and VPN hardware technologies including 3Com, Juniper Networks, Cisco and SonicWall solutions.
Site Reliability Engineer (VSE), VMware Inc, Remote (Idaho), October 2022 to Current
Sr Site Reliability Engineer (OneCloud), VMware Inc, Palo Alto, California, February 2016 to March 2020
Sr Cloud QA Engineer (OneCloud), VMware Inc, Palo Alto, California, February 2013 to Current
MTS Level-2 (View System Test), VMware Inc, Palo Alto, California, December 2011 to January 2013
MTS Level-2 (vCloud Director), VMware Inc, Palo Alto, California, February 2009 to November 2011
QA Engineer Level-2 (LabManager), VMware Inc, Palo Alto, California, August 2007 to January 2009
Senior IT Manager, Project InVision International, Novato, California, December 2003 to July 2007
Corporate IT Manager, RWS Group, LLC, San Francisco, California, April 2002 to October 2003
IT Manager, ETR, Inc., San Rafael, California, May 2001 to March 2002
Founder & Senior Network Administrator, Internet Services Inc, Novato, California, January 1994 to December 2004
CEO & Senior Technical Advisor, Delta PC, Inc.,Novato,California, 1991 to 2000
MCSE 2000, Linux Advanced Administration and Security, ITILv3
Advanced Network Studies:
College of Marin, Indian Valley campus, Novato, California, 1998-2002