There are a couple items that can be easily missed in the Documentation for upgrading the VCSA in version 6. The documentation is located HERE.
Here is a quick step by step to help summarize:
- After logging into SSH/Console using root, if you are NOT in the Command Prompt, then proceed to step 2…
- Run the command “/bin/appliancesh” to bring up the command prompt which would facilitate the Patch installation.
How to patch the VCSA:
- Mount he Patch ISO to the appliance VM
- Log into VC appliance using root either through SSH/Console
- Run below commands to install Patch
- To do staging of ISO: Command> software-packages stage –iso
- To see the staged content: Command> software-packages list –staged
- To Install the staged rpms: Command> software-packages install –staged
- Reboot the VC appliance after the Patch installation